6 September 2010

And You Can't Hold Me Down, Cos I Belong to the Hurricane

What I'm Listening To...

1. Florence + the Machine - Lungs - 2009
Florence + the Machine's debut album Lungs has dominated my listening time for about a month now... If I had to pick a reason why she's lasted as long as she has, I'd have to go with the wide range of genres she has going on. There's pop, there's rock, there's soul, there's blues. There's all that, and on top of that, it also has a distinctly indie feel to it. Florence Welch has a gorgeous voice, and the album really showcases it excellently. Songs like 'Dog Days Are Over' and 'Rabbit Heart' have wicked harmonies... the only way I can describe her voice on these tracks is triumphant; she just sounds so strong and empowered.


One thing (among many things) that she does well, is create an entire atmosphere within her music that's almost tangible. She does this with her lyrics and the way she uses her voice, as well as the instrumentals in each song. Admittedly, it took me a little while to warm up to her aesthetic... The first time I listened to the record, I felt almost like I was being musically assaulted or something because there's often a lot to pay attention to between the numerous vocal tracks, loud drums, strings, etc... I stuck with it though, being determined to find what everyone seems to love about her, and after a certain point it all pieced together, and I've been in love ever since.


My Top Tracks:
1. 'Girl With One Eye'
I LOVE this song... It's actually a cover song, originally written by a band called The Ludes from South London if I remember correctly... Anyway, the way she sings it is great, and with the lone guitar in the background and the drums it's just fantastic (I'd encourage you to look for some acoustic renditions of this one). It's quite a dark song in some respects (what with the cutting out of hearts and all) but when you look at it metaphorically... Okay, it's still dark, but it's a great song. Love, love, love.


2. 'Drumming Song'
This was the fourth single from the album, and it's just plain epic. There are pounding drums going the whole bloody time (hence the title), and it's like a tumultuous heartbeat. Essentially, the drums are what the narrator hears whenever she's near her lover, and they're driving her mad. It's a powerful song; or maybe it just feels that way because of the drums and vocals, but yeah, great. Two thumbs up, five stars, and all that jazz.


3. 'My Boy Builds Coffins'
This one's on the list, but I'm not overly attached to the version she has on the album. I'm not sure where the version I first heard came from, but it's really blues-y, similar to 'Girl With One Eye'. It's much darker than the album version, and I think it's really unfortunate she didn't put this one on the album, because in my opinion it's much stronger, not just in the genre, but also just the rawness of her voice. Here's the link.


4. 'Hurricane Drunk'
I love this song for many reasons. The title, for one, attracted me to it, just because I look at it and just think of someone (some of my dearest friends, for example) so rip roaring wasted... and that just gets me. Her voice is excellent on this record, and the music itself is like an infusion of rain noises, pearldrops, plucking on a harp or something (which sounds mystical and exotic at times), and of course, a compelling percussion track. I'm surprised this song hasn't been released as a single actually; it feels like it's commercial enough to be successful in that way? Who knows, maybe it will be the next one... Or maybe she'll release a whole new album of enticing material. Fingers crossed!


Official Website
Myspace
Facebook


2. The Hives - Tyrannosaurus Hives - 2004
I came upon this quite by accident one day while flicking through my mother's iPod, which had been loaded up with music by my brother during his punk phase back in his middle school days. I was going for a run, and my own iPod had finally succumbed to various forms of abuse, so I needed to find a replacement. I'd never heard of these guys before, but my choices were a little limited, so I gave them a chance, and they've been my running buddies for the whole summer.


The record is very guitar-driven (which is only to be expected from a punk band, I suppose), with catchy guitar riffs that really appeal to my ears, anyway. I'm not generally a fan of screaming and such in music, but when Pelle Almqvist has his way, I don't mind all that much, because it fits with the mood, I guess. At some point, I'll have to check out some of their other albums to see if they're any good, but for now, I'm quite satisfied with this one.


My Top Tracks:
1. 'B is for Brutus'
When I first heard this song, the intro had me thinking it was going to be distorted surfer music... But I was wrong. It's basically about Brutus and the lack of recognition he gets in comparison to Caeser... or at least, that's what I got out of it. He's the 'little man' who does all these things that are just as big as what Caeser does, but he doesn't get anywhere near the credit. That's the reference of Brutus, anyway, but in reality, it seems more like a song about a boy with an unfortunately small dick, who is forced to compensate in other ways.


2. 'Two Timing Touch and Broken Bones'
Really haven't analyzed this one for much meaning, but the title basically sums it up. It's a really fast moving track, and I'm quite partial to it. It was the second single off the album, which I totally get, because it definitely has that sort of vibe. I'd love to see somebody use it and/or 'Brutus' for a runway show... I think they'd be great over at Rag & Bone. I feel like I should be strutting about when I'm listening to them.


3. 'Abra Cadaver'
Punk: good. Freedom: good. Rebelling against social norms: goooooood. I reckon this ought to be a punk anthem. I'm surprised this one was pushed back to be the third single actually, I really feel it should have been the first one because of the feel and message it's putting across. I guess I'll have to settle for it being the opening track on the album.


Official Website
Myspace
Facebook
3. The Black Keys - Thickfreakness - 2003
Really been feeling the blues of late, and the Black Keys have been a big part of that. They're not exactly Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble, and like the White Stripes, they don't have a bass player, but the guitar riffs are fantastic, and Dan Auerbach has a killer voice that I just adore. I'm not going to pick any specific songs off the album, because I really think that this is one where you just need to listen to every track. Yeah, it's that good.


So if you're having a barbeque with your mates in the outback (or if you want to feel like you are), pop this one in. It's great music to just sit and chill to, and it's something everyone's sure to enjoy even if they aren't big on looking for meaning in the lyrics (that's not to say that the songs don't have meaning, it's more a comment on the appeal of the album's sound aside from that). Definite recommendation. Go buy it.


Official Website
Myspace
Facebook


Peace, love, and floating,
Gill Ford

No comments: