29 April 2011

God Save The Queen, Long Live The McQueen

THE KISS   photo | Royal Wedding, Kate Middleton, Prince William

In case you didn't already know, the Royal Wedding of William and Kate was uh-maaaazing. He looked smashing in his Irish Guard uniform. She looked stunning in her Sarah Burton-designed Alexander McQueen gown. My fiancée, Prince Harry, looked very dashing himself in his Blues and Royals (You are all invited to our wedding by the way, which will take place promptly in 5-10 years. Kisses!). Pippa Middleton also turned heads in another dress by the house of McQueen. I might also add that Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II wore yellow. Very on trend Ma'am. On trend, indeed.

Elton and David were in attendance, as were others of the "Royal (but of a different sort than the Madges and the Middleton)" folk, among them, Posh and Becks, and Rowan Atkinson. Fashion was very much on the front lines (as one can always expect with these things) and this was all fascinating, but I was momentarily distracted by trees. You think I'm being sarcastic, but I'm actually not. There were TREES in the Abbey, actual living trees! And I have to say, it was one of the best decisions they made in the field of decorum, not just because of the addition of the colour (which played magnificently with the red, white, and gold) but also because they drew attention to the love that the couple has been so very characterized by for the duration of this courtship. It's a natural love, one that is real, not manufactured or forced like we saw with Charles and Diana. 

That love was on display today, as much as the two tried to restrain it with the royal expectancy of chaste and moral public behaviour (Which we might translate for the low-brow among you as "boring". This is, of course,  excepting the original People's Princess, Diana; Fergie's recent dramas; and anything Prince Harry has done, ever.). They couldn't help but smile broadly through out, which left me in quite a state, especially seeing as I had completely used all my tissues by the time Kate made it to the altar in the gorgeous McQueen dress. I couldn't even help myself, I got completely worked up and sentimental, sighing with the "I will"s, giggling at one of the choir boys' eyebrows dancing a jig as he sang, crinkling my brow in empathy as Lizzy shed a tear, and letting out a wail when the newly wedded Cambridges mounted their little carriage and Duchess Catherine  turned to her husband and said through her wide grin "I am so happy!" I'm not even going to get into the doubling up of the Royal Kiss at Buckingham Palace. Dehydration is simply far too close for comfort, and would be a stain on this wonderful day. 

Say what you want about the Royal Family, there are few in the world capable of inspiring such pure fantasy in the minds and hearts of people. I was not yet born when Charles and Diana married in 1981, and as a result, I missed out on one of the grandest moments in modern culture. As magical as the story of Lady Di was, I think the one that is now in the works for Kate Middleton is one that is even more of a bedtime story than hers. By virtue of being a commoner who marries into royalty, not because she had a title, or certain type of blood, but purely for love, Kate Middleton keeps our wildest dreams and imaginations alive. And if there was any lingering doubt, when she stepped out in that McQueen dress, she proved that those flights of fancy will always live on... Necause true fairytales? They are immortal. 

God save the Queen, and long live the McQueen.


Peace, love, and floating,
Gill Ford

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a way with words that makes me cry almost as much as this wedding did. Bless you :)

kt said...

I will remember this day for the rest of my life, it was the most perfect wedding!!!!! everyone looked beautiful, and Sarah Burton did an amazing job on the dresses for Kate and Pippa! I wish I could have a McQueen wedding dress :(

Anonymous said...

Kate had a beautiful dress but I think Pippa kind of stole the show unfortunately. This is why you never let anyone wear white except for the bride hehehe