26 August 2010

Copenhagen Cancer City Kill

Now that the first official post is out of the way, I guess I should get this thing started...


So as you all may or may not know, we are fast approaching major fashion weeks. New York, London, Milan, and Paris will all come in good time, but for now, we are sitting on our laurels as September issues start appearing... Okay, so I'm kind of lying. One of my FAVORITE fashion weeks just occurred actually, running from August 11th - 15th in Copenhagen, and as always, the Danes reminded us why we love them oh so much.


As it happens, this year was a record breaker for the Scandinavian fashion capital; hosting over 50 shows in total, and featuring approximately 260 brands! It was to my complete and utter devastation that we were left hanging by two of my favorites, ACNE and the incomparable Mads Nørgaard (note the streaming tears), neither of whom showed this year. That said, we can all expect great things from Jonny Johansson, because ACNE is once again showing in London this year, and word on the street is that it's going to be bigger and better than before!!


One of the major attractions of Copenhagen this year was also a record setter, and perhaps one of the more lucrative ones we've seen in a while... A MILE LONG CATWALK. That's right folks, we're talking 1609 meters of pink, winding through the core of the city. I don't know about you lot, but the only times I willingly walk that far in six-inch heels is when I'm drunk as fuck and can't find the lou. So props to the 220 models that undertook that trek, may your next shows involve flats or trainers.


Now, you can all bet your asses I'll be back with my favorite looks from the week, but I need to finish looking through them all first... It would be exhausting if I wasn't so in love... let me tell you, there is NOTHING rotten in the state of Denmark. That said, I will leave you with two of my favorite fashion films by Mads Nørgaard, titled 'The Copenhagen Experience'. I've included parts one and two of the trilogy, as the third has yet to be released, and at this point I'm not expecting it at all :(. The films feature Danish models Freja Beha Erichsen and Eddie Klint, as well as covers/remixes of the song 'Copenhagen' originally by the Danish band Sort Sol for way back in the 80s. The song, here redone by Rework and Trentmøller (honestly, who else?) is a great track... the covers are available on iTunes.


Part 1:




Part 2:




I know right, that was a cornucopia of awesomeness. I'm telling you, Denmark is where it's at. They have a great fashion week, they have great music, and they have great models. Not to mention, they also own Greenland. Yeah, when I found out I was well surprised too. Everyone's talking about China and India and shit, but before you know it, Denmark is going to take over the world.


Peace, love, and floating,
Gill Ford

No comments: